Tommy Hilfiger will simulcast NYFW show in Roblox
The Future. Tommy Hilfiger is going physical and digital for its runway show at New York Fashion Week with a live recreation in Roblox. While a runway show on the popular gaming platform may seem a little gimmicky, the brand may be making a statement that virtual fashion is a key part of the company’s future and that Roblox is a great way to democratize access to clothes at scale.
Is Roblox the hottest destination in fashion?
- Input reports that Tommy Hilfiger’s NYFW Brooklyn show at the Skyline Drive-In on September 11 will be simultaneously recreated in Roblox.
- In Roblox, avatars will wear the same clothes as the IRL models — only they’ll be virtual renditions of the outfits (while walking through a virtual NYC, of course).
- The physical and virtual clothes will be immediately available for purchase in case you want to make sure your physical closet matches your digital one.
Users will also be able to purchase exclusive digital merch related to the show.
While Tommy Hilfiger’s showcase may be the most innovative cross-reality use of Roblox to date, it’s not fashion’s (or even Hilfiger’s) first.
- Last December, Tommy Hilfiger released a 30-piece collection on Roblox. And last month, a community space on the platform Tommy Play opened up.
- Gucci, Burberry, and Nike (which is high-fashion at this point) all have a strong presence in Roblox, with metaverse threads key to future customer acquisition.
And then there’s Balenciaga, which developed its own video game, Afterworld: The Age of Tomorrow, to house its Fall 2021 runway show.
Pixel fashion. So hot right now.