Facebook funds $10 million for metaverse creators
The Future. Facebook is kicking off its metaverse building with a new Creator Program for developers — Horizon World. Armed with only $10 million so far, the program may be more of a marketing strategy to get people talking about Facebook’s ambitions in creating a virtual world.
No hedging the Horizon
Don’t call it a distraction, but Facebook is charging ahead with building the metaverse… and wants to pay creators to help.
- Facebook announced a new Creator Program for developers to build experiences on its Horizon VR platform… which is being renamed to Horizon Worlds.
- The $10 million fund will be doled out in three ways:
- Community competitions for $10K cash prizes.
- A Creator Accelerator Program that will start early next year.
- Seed funding for developers working on a “particular theme.”
The Horizon Worlds platform is still in beta.
A $10 million fund is likely just the start (Facebook has money to burn), but the company has step-by-step been building the infrastructure to make its metaverse dreams a reality